- College of Arts & Sciences
- Pamplin School of Business
- School of Education
- Donald P. Shiley School of Engineering
- School of Nursing
- Graduate School
- Clark Library
- Academic Advising
- Air Force ROTC
- Army ROTC
- Early Alert
- Fellowships & Grants
- Franz Center
- Garaventa Center
- Honors Program
- Majors & Minors
- Shepard Academic Resource Center
- Studies Abroad
- STEM Center
- University Catalog: The Bulletin
- University Core
- Campus Life
- About UP
- Clark Library
- 5000 N Willamette Blvd.
- Portland OR 97203
- 503-943-7111 or 800-841-8261
- fax: 503-943-7491
- Library Home
- Find Books, Videos & More
- Subject & Course Guides
- Course Reserves
- Digital Collections
- Pilot Scholars
- Interlibrary Loan
- Digital Lab
- Archives & Artifacts
- Get Help
- Research Tools
- About the Library
- Off-Campus Use
Library: Interlibrary Loan FAQ
Interlibrary loan is a library service that obtains materials not owned by the Clark Library needed for class, research, or job-related projects. Typically the materials are obtained from another library or from a commercial document delivery service.
Current UP students, faculty and staff.
Usually the library doesn’t pass on copyright and processing fees to students, faculty or staff. However, for charges in excess of $30.00, undergraduates will be asked to pay the difference between the actual cost for the request and $30.00. We will let you know of any charges before fulfilling the request.
To request an article, use one of these methods:
- Logon to UP ILLiad and use the "Request an Article" button.
- From many of the library's online databases, select the Get it @ UP link to see if the article is available through UP. If it is not available, use the Request via UP ILLiad link on the Get it @ UP page.
- For more information about requesting articles, see Using UP ILLiad to Request Materials (PDF)
To borrow a book from another library:
- Search UP Library Search.
- When you find an item you would like to request, choose the title of the item to see the full description. In order to see the request links, choose the UP users sign in to request item button. After signing in, many items will offer a Request via Summit link; Summit items arrive within 3-5 days. Some items not available through Summit will have a Request via UP ILLiad link; books requested through UP ILLiad will arrive within 10-14 days.
To obtain a copy of an article from a journal owned by UP, choose either of the following options:
- Come into the library during our regular library hours, find the print or microfilm/microfiche copy of the journal, and use our equipment to make a copy of the article.
- Use UP ILLiad to request articles published in journals owned by UP. The articles will be delivered to you electronically; you will receive an email when the article is available. See “How do I make a request” (above).
There is no limit for faculty, staff and graduate students. For undergraduates there is a limit of 15 active requests at any one time. If you need to exceed this limit please call the Interlibrary Loan office at 503-943-7526 to discuss options available.
If you request more than 5 items at once, your requests may be processed over several days depending on the current volume of requesting.
Loan periods are set by the lending library and due dates must be honored – please request only the number of items you can effectively use at any given time.
Every request is processed as quickly as possible. The turnaround time can vary, but on average:
Articles: 3-5 days
Books:1-2 weeks (3-5 days if we can borrow the item within Oregon)
Books: At the Library Service Desk.
Articles:Articles are delivered electronically. You will receive an email when your article is available, with instructions for accessing your article online.
We can always ask on your behalf but all interlibrary loan renewals are at the discretion of the lending library. To request a renewal, please contact the Interlibrary Loan office, 503-943-7526 or email email@example.com. We'll ask the lending library for a renewal and will contact you with the answer.
Items will be available online for 30 days after you receive your email notification. After 30 days, the article will be automatically removed from the system.
Please see the PDF Troubleshooting Guide for tips on how to open electronically-delivered articles or cal 503-943-7526 for help.
Yes, but only requests that you have just submitted. To cancel a UP ILLiad request, call the Interlibrary Loan office (503-943-7526) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To cancel a request that you have just submitted, you can also:
- Login to UP ILLiad
- In the Outstanding Requests box, choose the Transaction Number link for the item you wish to cancel
- Choose the Cancel Request link (near the top of the page, just above the Transaction Information header)
If the Interlibrary Loan department has already processed the request and found a library willing to lend us the item, you will not be able to cancel the request.
Yes; dissertations may be requested via Interlibrary Loan. Please use the Book request form in UP ILLiad to request dissertations.
In addition, many dissertation authors now choose to make their dissertations freely available online via their university's institutional repository. The Finding Dissertations web page links to resources for locating online copies of dissertations.
Due to high demand, textbooks are not available for loan through UP ILLiad. However, students are welcome to borrow textbooks from Summit libraries through UP Library Search (as long as the request link says: Request via Summit NOT Request via UP ILLiad).
Yes, you can. Since we deliver the articles electronically, it really doesn’t matter where you are – as long as you have access to a computer and email.
Books are a little trickier. Because of the time it takes to mail a book it may be more efficient for you to try to find these kinds of material on your local campus. It also makes a difference how close it is to your date of departure from the study abroad program. We don’t want to mail materials that might potentially arrive after you’ve left to come home. When in doubt, email the interlibrary loan department at email@example.com and ask them about a particular title.
If you do make use of Interlibrary Loan while studying abroad, be sure to change your status in your UP ILLiad account from Undergraduate to Ugrad-Study Abroad so we’ll be aware of where the request is coming from.
ILL Office Hours:
Mon-Fri 8am-4:30 pm
Document Delivery/Interlibrary Loan Technical Assistant