- College of Arts & Sciences
- Pamplin School of Business Administration
- School of Education
- Donald P. Shiley School of Engineering
- School of Nursing
- Graduate School
- Clark Library
- Academic Advising
- Air Force ROTC
- Army ROTC
- Early Alert
- Fellowships & Grants
- Franz Center
- Garaventa Center
- Honors Program
- Learning Resource Center
- Majors & Minors
- Studies Abroad
- University Catalog: The Bulletin
- Arts & Culture
- Campus Ministry
- Counseling & Health Center
- Housing & Residence Life
- International Student Services
- Moreau Center for Service & Leadership
- Portland, OR
- Public Safety
- Recreational Services
- Shepard Freshman Resource Center
- Student Activities
- Student Affairs
- Student Resources
- About UP
- Clark Library
- 5000 N Willamette Blvd.
- Portland OR 97203
- 503-943-7111 or 800-841-8261
- fax: 503-943-7491
Library: Circulation FAQ
UP students, faculty and staff
UP Alumni (with verification from the alumni office)
Students & faculty from schools in the Orbis Cascade Alliance (bring your school ID card)
Students & faculty from NAPCU Institutions (bring your school ID card)
Residents of the city of Portland are eligible to receive a free Portland community card that allows them to check out materials from the Clark Library.
All others may purchase a fee card for:
- $ 15 for 3 months
- $ 30 for 6 months
- $ 45 for 9 months
- $ 60 for 12 months
UP students, faculty and staff: Your UP ID card is your library card. If you received your UP ID prior to Spring 2010, your barcode number may be a sticker on the back side of your ID card. ID cards issued after January 2010 have a barcode pre-printed on the front of the card. Either barcode will allow you to checkout materials and access library databases from off-campus.
Alumni: obtain an alumni card from the Alumni Office. Bring the alumni card to the to the Library Service Desk and ask to be issued a barcode for checking out materials.
Portland residents: are eligible for a Portland community card
All others: purchase a fee card
See the Loan Periods chart to find out how long you can check out an item.
Book Stacks, Summit items and Media:
$.25 per item per day/$10 maximum
$2.00 per item per hour/$20 maximum
Replacement Fees for Lost Materials:
$45 replacement charge + $30 processing fee
Popular Videos/DVDs, CDs:
$20 replacement charge + $30 processing fee
$70 replacement charge + $30 processing fee
$45 replacement fee + $30 processing fee
$25 replacement fee + $30 processing fee
Overdue fines will apply to items not returned to the library or renewed by the due date. To avoid these fines, there are several ways to renew loans on materials.
There are different options for asking for renewals or obtaining another copy of an item, depending on what the item is and where it came from – choose the method that is most convenient for you:
Items from UP's collection:
- Call (503) 943-7111 / (800) 841-8261 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to renew your books. Be sure to give complete information about the items you wish to renew.or
- Renew books online by accessing My Library Accountor
- Stop by in person at the Library Service Desk (you don't have to have the items with you in order to renew the materials)
Summit items: No renewals are permitted for Summit items. Below are some options to pursue if you need the material for longer than the 6-week loan period:
- 4-5 days before your item is due back, request the same item again from Summit – a different copy will be sentor
- Call 503-943-7111 or email email@example.com and explain your need to a Circulation Supervisor; it may be possible to work out an arrangement with the lending library.or
- If no other copies are available, submit an Interlibrary Loan request via your UP ILLiad account.
Interlibrary Loan items Interlibrary Loan renewals are at the discretion of the lending library and may not be possible for all items.
It depends. If the loss occurred less than 6 months ago AND we haven't already repurchased the book (or another to take its place) then yes, the library can provide a refund (or credit your Banner account) for the loss. Just bring the book back to the Library Service Desk and be sure to ask the Supervisor if a refund is possible.
- If you plan to pick up the book at a library other than University of Portland, you first need to visit the library in person, and identify yourself as a University of Portland student who needs to be adopted into their library system.
- Use UP WorldCat to find a book.
- From the list of search results, choose the title of the book to see the full information about this book.
- Choose Request Summit Item* button.
- On the Choose your library screen, choose the library where you plan to pick up the book. If "University of Portland" is already selected, select choose a different library to select the library where you have been adopted from the list of participating libraries. Choose the Continue button.
- In the boxes provided, enter your Last Name (in lower case letters) and Library Barcode number (usually your UP ID number. If you don't know your barcode number, contact the Library Service Desk at 1-800-841-8261, or email firstname.lastname@example.org). Or, if you have been adopted by another library and you are not sure which barcode to use for the adopted library, please contact that library directly for assistance.
- Choose the Login button. On the following screen, choose the Submit button again to finish the request.
You can return Summit books to the Clark Library or to any participating library. The book will be sent back to the lending library.
* UP WorldCat includes items from regional libraries as well as national/international libraries. For some items, you will see a Request from Interlibrary Loan button rather than a Request Summit Item button. For these items:
- Choose the Request from Interlibrary Loan button,
which will redirect you to UP ILLiad, our Interlibrary Loan system.
- Login with your UP network username and password; a book request
form should already be filled out with the information about this book.
- Choose the Submit Request button; the book will be mailed
to you within 10-14 business days.
- You may return the book via U.S. mail (allow 3 days for priority mail or 4-7 days for parcel post). Each book will have an insert explaining how to return it and a "Ship to" label for your convenience. You are responsible for the return postage. Alternately, you may return the book directly to the Clark Library.