- College of Arts & Sciences
- Pamplin School of Business Administration
- School of Education
- Donald P. Shiley School of Engineering
- School of Nursing
- Graduate School
- Clark Library
- Academic Advising
- Air Force ROTC
- Army ROTC
- Early Alert
- Fellowships & Grants
- Franz Center
- Garaventa Center
- Honors Program
- Learning Resource Center
- Majors & Minors
- Studies Abroad
- University Catalog: The Bulletin
- Campus Life
- About UP
- Clark Library
- 5000 N Willamette Blvd.
- Portland OR 97203
- 503-943-7111 or 800-841-8261
- fax: 503-943-7491
Library: Services for Students
- Your UP ID is also a library card. Use your UP ID card to check out items from the library.
- Your UP network username and password is needed for off-campus access to the library's online resources and requesting Summit items.
- Create your UP ILLiad account for requesting and receiving articles and other materials (logon with your UP network password).
- [optional] Download the library toolbar to your Internet browser for easy navigation to your library account, renewals, catalog searching, subject guides, and more.
- [optional] Create an account in RefWorks, a web-based software program for tracking your literature search and generating pre-formatted APA, MLA, Chicago (and more) style footnotes, in-text citations, and bibliographies.
Librarians or student reference assistants are available to help with research-related questions during the hours listed on the Library Hours web page. The Research Desk can also be contacted by phone (503-943-7788), email, or Library Chat.
Borrowing & Requesting Materials
Students may borrow books and media items from the Library; all that is needed is a UP ID card. For more information about borrowing materials, see the Circulation Services FAQ.
Students may also borrow books and media items from 37 libraries in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho via Summit by searching UP Library Search. Items will arrive within 2-3 business days.
Use Interlibrary Loan to request:
- Journal articles owned by UP
- Journal articles not available at UP
- Books not available through Summit
Items will generally arrive within:
- Journal articles owned by UP (1 day)
- Journal articles not available at UP (3-5 days)
- Books not available through Summit (7-10 days)Course Reserves
Course reserves (including articles, books, and videos) are materials set aside by faculty for a particular class that may be checked out for short time period. To find course reserves for your class, choose the Course Reserves link on the library home page. Print and media reserves can be checked out from the Library Service Desk; electronic reserves may be accessed online.
For more information, see Reserves Information for Students.Media
The Library’s media collection of videos, DVDs, and audio CDs is housed on the lower floor.
Although most media may be taken off premises, two workstations for viewing VHS or DVD are available nearby. These machines are capable of playing VHS and DVDs from all regions.
Services & Resources:
Access for Users with Disabilities
Disabled access will be available via the main entrance of the library. Within the building there is a full-sized elevator for moving between floors.
An Aladdin Reader, which magnifies printed materials, will be available on the main floor near the grand staircase.
Additional accommodations are provided on an as-needed basis to help patrons with using the facility and collections. To ensure that a staff member is available, call the Library Service Desk at 503-943-7111 to make an appointment.Study Rooms
The Clark Library has 19 study rooms that may be used by groups of two or more UP students, faculty or staff. Nine study rooms are equipped with monitors for group viewing from a laptop.
Need supplies, such adapters for connecting devices to the study room monitors, a DVD player, or whiteboard markers? These items are available for checkout at the Library Service Desk on the main floor of the library.Table of Contents Alerts Would you like to be notified any time a new issue of your favorite journal is available? Learn about Creating Table of Contents Alerts for thousands of journals indexed in the EBSCO databases.Wireless access
Wireless access is available to UP students, faculty, staff, and guests across campus.
To access the wireless you will need a device with wireless capabilities and a UP network username and password. Guests may request a password for the wireless network at the Library Service Desk.
For help accessing the wireless, contact the Help Desk (help@up,edu; 503-943-7000), or ask the Lab Assistant in the Franz Hall 111 or Shiley Hall 208 computer labs.