Library: Circulation FAQ
UP students, faculty and staff
UP Alumni (with verification from the alumni office)
Students & faculty from schools in the Orbis Cascade Alliance (bring your school ID card)
Students & faculty from NAPCU Institutions (bring your school ID card)
Residents of the city of Portland are eligible to receive a free Portland community card that allows them to check out materials from the Clark Library.
All others may purchase a fee card for:
- $ 15 for 3 months
- $ 30 for 6 months
- $ 45 for 9 months
- $ 60 for 12 months
UP students, faculty and staff: Your UP ID card is your library card.
Note: as of Summer 2014, the library barcode has been changed to the UP ID number for all users. Users who have an ID card with a sticker on the back of the card are encouraged to obtain a new ID card from Public Safety (though users may still check out materials with your existing ID card)
Alumni: obtain an alumni card from the Alumni Office. Bring the alumni card to the to the Library Service Desk and ask to be issued a barcode for checking out materials.
Portland residents: are eligible for a Portland community card
All others: purchase a fee card
See the Loan Periods chart to find out how long you can check out an item.
Book Stacks and Media:
$.25 per item per day/$10 maximum
$.50 per item per day/$10 maximum
$2.00 per item per hour/$20 maximum
Overdue fines will apply to items not returned to the library or renewed by the due date. To avoid these fines, there are several ways to renew loans on materials.
Replacement Fees for Lost Materials:
For lost or damaged UP Library materials, there is both a replacement charge and a processing fee associated with a lost or damaged item. The replacement charge is based on the average cost of library materials rather than the list price of a single item.
Books, Videos, DVDs:
$50 replacement charge + $30 processing fee
UP Library does not own Summit or Interlibrary Loan materials. Charges associated with lost or damaged Summit or ILL materials are as follows:
$60.00 replacement fee + $30 processing fee
Interlibrary Loan Materials:
The fee assessed by the lending library.
There are different options for asking for renewals or obtaining another copy of an item, depending on what the item is and where it came from – choose the method that is most convenient for you:
Items from UP's collection:
- Call (503) 943-7111 / (800) 841-8261 or email email@example.com and ask to renew your books. Be sure to give complete information about the items you wish to renew.or
- Renew books online by accessing My Library Accountor
- Stop by in person at the Library Service Desk (you don't have to have the items with you in order to renew the materials)
Summit items: No renewals are permitted for Summit items. Below are some options to pursue if you need the material for longer than the 6-week loan period:
- 4-5 days before your item is due back, request the same item again from Summit – a different copy will be sentor
- Call 503-943-7111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and explain your need to a Circulation Supervisor; it may be possible to work out an arrangement with the lending library.or
- If no other copies are available, submit an Interlibrary Loan request via your UP ILLiad account.
Interlibrary Loan items Interlibrary Loan renewals are at the discretion of the lending library and may not be possible for all items.
It depends. If the loss occurred less than 6 months ago AND we haven't already repurchased the book (or another to take its place) then yes, the library can provide a refund (or credit your Banner account) for the loss. Just bring the book back to the Library Service Desk and be sure to ask the Supervisor if a refund is possible.
- If you plan to pick up the book at a library other than University of Portland, you first need to visit the library in person, and identify yourself as a University of Portland student who needs to be adopted into their library system.
- Use UP Library Search to find a book.
- From the list of search results, choose the Find or Request link to see options about how to request this item.
- Choose the Request via Summit (5 days) link to connect to Summit.
- On the Summit screen, choose the Request via Summit (5 days) button.
- On the Choose your library screen, choose the library where you plan to pick up the book. If "University of Portland" is already selected, select choose a different library to select the library where you have been adopted from the list of participating libraries. Choose the Continue button.
- In the boxes provided, enter your UP network username and password. Or, if you have been adopted by another library and you are not sure which barcode to use for the adopted library, please contact that library directly for assistance.
- Choose the Login button. On the following screen, choose the Submit button again to finish the request.
You can return Summit books to the Clark Library or to any participating library. The book will be sent back to the lending library.
* UP Library Search includes items from regional libraries as well as national/international libraries. For some items, you will see a Request via UP ILLiad (Articles 3 days; Books 12 days link rather than a Request via Summit (5 days) link. For these items:
- Choose the Request via UP ILLiad (Articles 3 days; Books 12 days) link,
which will redirect you to UP ILLiad, our Interlibrary Loan system.
- Login with your UP network username and password; a book request
form should already be filled out with the information about this book.
- Choose the Submit Request button; the book will be mailed
to you within 10-14 business days.
- You may return the book via U.S. mail (allow 3 days for priority mail or 4-7 days for parcel post). Each book will have an insert explaining how to return it and a "Ship to" label for your convenience. You are responsible for the return postage. Alternately, you may return the book directly to the Clark Library.