Library: Archives Collection Development Policy
The mission of the University of Portland Archives is to collect, access, arrange, preserve, and make available records of enduring historical value created or received by the University of Portland for research, instructional, or administrative use.
The scope of the Archives Collections is:
Current collecting of records and documents from University of Portland offices, colleges, schools, and departments is on a case by case basis.
University of Portland History and Culture, and the University’s Relationship to the Congregation of Holy Cross
The University Archives is a repository for documents, publications, and images of permanent historical value relating to the history of the University of Portland, including the presence of the Congregation of Holy Cross.
Rare and Exceptional Collections
Some materials were purchased or gifted to the Archives which have sufficient historical, theological, legal, fiscal, developmental or informational significance to warrant their long-term placement in the University Archives
Types of Materials Collected include:
- University Publications (e.g., The Beacon, The Log, Portland Magazine)
- Selected division and department administrative records
- Selected photographs of University personnel, campus, buildings and events
- Selected blueprints and architectural drawings
- Selected pamphlets & posters
- Selected books published by or about members of the University of Portland community
- Graduate theses in print or digital format
- Undergraduate senior and honors program theses in print or digital format
The Archives of the University of Portland is projected to remain limited, selective and focused in the areas noted above. Collections size will be limited by adherence to collection parameters and by the amount of physical space available to house and protect the collections appropriately.
Selection for additions to the Archives Collections, including gifts, will be based on collections scope as defined by this policy. The Archives and the University of Portland welcome inquiries regarding gifts to the Archives Collections. For further information please contact Rev. Jeffrey A. Schneibel, C.S.C., University Archivist at 503-943-7116 or firstname.lastname@example.org; or University Development at 503-943-7395.
The holdings of the University Archives are available to University of Portland administrators, students, faculty, staff, alumni and the general public for research under the following conditions:
- Archival materials may be used only on-site in the Archives with supervision.
- The Archives welcomes requests for information. Requests from University of Portland administrators, faculty, staff and students have priority.
- Some records may be restricted by law, by University of Portland policy, or by request of the donor.
- Photocopying will be done by the staff; a fee for this service may be required.
- Archival records are never to be altered or defaced by any markings whatsoever.
- Patrons are asked to keep records in the same order in which they are found.
- The University of Portland Archives is to be credited on all documents and photographs used in publication or display.
- The University of Portland reserves the right to restrict access to all or any portion of its records to researchers.
- Use of materials in the University Archives is governed by applicable copyright laws. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all necessary copyright permissions to quote or publish any material located in the University of Portland Archives.
To the extent possible, and with preservation as a priority, photo duplication and/or scanning of collection pages will be allowed.
Collection digitization, with the goal of making University Archives Collections more accessible, will be considered as funding and demand dictate.
January 23, 2013