Library: Orbis Cascade Alliance
The Orbis Cascade Alliance is a consortium of 37 academic libraries in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. The consortium includes public and private universities, colleges, and community colleges. See a list of Orbis Cascade Alliance members.
The Orbis Cascade Alliance coordinates Summit, which is included in UP Library Search. The Summit system allows patrons at member institutions to request books, sound recordings, films, maps, and more, and have these materials delivered to any member library within 2-3 business days. In addition, patrons may visit any member library and borrow materials with a valid institutional ID card. Learn more about this process:
Request and pick up books from local libraries (Oregon & Washington only)
- If you plan to pick up the book at a library other than University of Portland, you first need to visit the library in person, and identify yourself as a University of Portland student who needs to be adopted into their library system.
- Use UP Library Search to find a book.
- From the list of search results, choose the Find or Request link to see options about how to request this item.
- Choose the Request via Summit (5 days) link to connect to Summit.
- On the Summit screen, choose the Request via Summit (5 days) button.
- On the Choose your library screen, choose the library where you plan to pick up the book. If "University of Portland" is already selected, select choose a different library to select the library where you have been adopted from the list of participating libraries. Choose the Continue button.
- In the boxes provided, enter your UP network username and password. Or, if you have been adopted by another library and you are not sure which barcode to use for the adopted library, please contact that library directly for assistance.
- Choose the Login button. On the following screen, choose the Submit button again to finish the request.
You can return Summit books to the Clark Library or to any participating library. The book will be sent back to the lending library.
* UP Library Search includes items from regional libraries as well as national/international libraries. For some items, you will see a Request via UP ILLiad (Articles 3 days; Books 12 days link rather than a Request via Summit (5 days) link. For these items:
- Choose the Request via UP ILLiad (Articles 3 days; Books 12 days) link, which will redirect you to UP ILLiad, our Interlibrary Loan system.
- Login with your UP network username and password; a book request form should already be filled out with the information about this book.
- Choose the Submit Request button; the book will be mailed to you within 10-14 business days.
- You may return the book via U.S. mail (allow 3 days for priority mail or 4-7 days for parcel post). Each book will have an insert explaining how to return it and a "Ship to" label for your convenience. You are responsible for the return postage. Alternately, you may return the book directly to the Clark Library.
The Orbis Cascade Alliance also coordinates group purchases of electronic resources, facilitates the Northwest Digital Archives, and provides many other services. See more information about the Orbis Cascade Alliance.