Library: Troubleshooting FAQ for Off-Campus Access
All current UP students, faculty, and staff may access the library’s online resources from off-campus. Users will be prompted to login using their UP network username and password in order to access online resources.
- From the library's home page, go to Databases A-Z.
- Choose a link to any database.
- If you are off-campus, you should see a screen that looks like the picture below:
Enter your UP network username and your password and choose the Login button to be automatically transferred to the database.
- All current UP students, faculty, and staff may access the library’s online resources from off-campus
- Alumni unfortunately are not eligible for off-campus access to resources. However, alumni are welcome to visit the library in person to access online resources. For more information, see the Services for UP Alumni & Guests web page.
Help! I can't login.
- This usually means that your password was entered incorrectly or your password has expired. Additionally, if you have tried to login more than 3 times, you will be locked out of your account for 15 minutes.
- Try to login to PilotsUP. If you cannot login to PilotsUP, then you are locked out of your account. Wait 15 minutes, or contact the Help Desk.
- If you can login to PilotsUP, but you cannot access library databases please contact the library at 503-943-7111, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, to troubleshoot this issue.
After you are prompted to login, if you see one of the following error messages:
- Access not Available for Alumni
- UP ID Number Not Found
- Access not Available
These error messages indicate that our system does not recognize you as a current student, faculty, or staff of the university.
If you are currently affiliated with UP, please contact the library at 503-943-7111, or email email@example.com, to troubleshoot this issue.
After you login, nothing seems to happen for about a minute, and then you see one of the following error messages:
- The connection has timed out (Firefox)
- This webpage is not available (Google Chrome)
- This page can’t be displayed (Internet Explorer)
This issue is likely caused by one of the following settings on your computer:Cookies
The library proxy server needs to be able to send cookies in order to work correctly. Check to make sure that your browser settings will allow you to accept cookies:
- Firefox for Windows: go to Tools > Options > Privacy > under "History" change the drop-down menu to "Use custom settings for history" -> Check the box next to "Accept Cookies from Sites."
- Firefox for Mac: go to Firefox > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies> check box to "Accept Cookies from Sites."
- Google Chrome: Choose the Chrome menu (icon with three dashes) -> Settings -> Show advanced settings -> In the "Privacy" section, choose the "Content settings" button -> under "Cookies" choose "Allow local data to be set (recommended) -> Choose the "Done" button
- Internet Explorer: go to the Tools menu (or choose the cog wheel icon) and choose > Internet Options > Privacy > then set the privacy slider to Medium or lower.
Firewalls may block access to the system that the library uses to provide off-campus access to online resources.
If you are trying to connect from home:
- If you have installed personal firewall software (such as Norton Antivirus), you need to allow access to the following sites (as safe sites): ezproxy.up.edu, ezproxy-eres.up.edu, and login.ezproxy-eres.up.edu. For more assistance, refer to the documentation provided with your firewall application.
- Confirm that your network allows access to the following ports: 2048 (outbound connection); 443 (for secure logon)
- The library's off-campus access system uses a secure connection; make sure that you can login to other secure web pages, such as https://pilots.up.edu
- For more assistance, contact your local internet service provider, or contact someone who specializes in troubleshooting internet networks
If you are trying to connect from work:
- Many corporate, government, or educational work environments use a firewall for security purposes, which may block access to the library's off-campus access system.
- Contact your local network administrator to let them know that you need access to the University of Portland’s proxy server, EZproxy. Provide the following information:
- EZproxy requires access to the following ports: 2048 (outbound connection); 443 (secure login)
- EZproxy uses the following domains: ezproxy.up.edu, ezproxy-eres.up.edu, and login.ezproxy-eres.up.edu
- EZproxy always uses a secure connection (https://)
You have tried to access an online resource that has not been configured in our off-campus access system. The database company may have changed their web address, or it may be a free site that does not need to be accessed via our system.
Please contact the library at 503-943-7788 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send the URL that you are trying to access, and how you originally connected to that URL (e.g. from a library web page? From a link in Moodle?)
Try adding the following string to the beginning of the URL to make the link work from off-campus:
For example, if your link is: http://www.jstor.org/stable/40269163
After adding the string provided above, your URL will be: https://login.ezproxy-eres.up.edu/login?url= http://www.jstor.org/stable/40269163
Note: many online resources offer an option to get a Permalink or Persistent link that already contains the off-campus access information in the URL. For more information about where to find Permalinks in specific resources, see the Linking to Online Resources from Moodle web page.